Skip Hire - Will you need a Road Permit?

You can either contact your local council for a skip licence if you want to put a skip on a public road or talk to us.

In most areas, Local Site Services will be responsible for getting skip licences, also sometimes called skip permits. However, in some smaller areas you’ll need to do it yourself.

You need a Permit licence for:

  • Skips (all sizes)
  • Hippobags® and other skip bags

You don’t need a skip licence if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.

Do I need a Skip Permit

What are the Permit Restrictions?

You can’t put a skip on the pavement, public walkway. You may need to put safety lights and markings on or around the skip. This could include:

  • Reflective markings
  • Traffic cones
  • Night-time safety lamps
  • The name and telephone number of the skip hire company

For more specific rules contact your local council to find out more about lights and markings in your area.

Do I need a Skip Licence

Skip Hire Permit Fines and penalties

If you don’t put up the required safety lights and markings, you could be fined up to £1,000.

For more Skip licence information please click here